There is something soothing about looking into the green of an emerald. In a class of its own, wearing an emerald ring instantly lends class and sophistication to its wearer. Typical of colombian emeralds, the glow of green is a very soothing, calming deep green.
Emeralds are usually heavily included. Hence, finding one that is as eye-clean as possible such that it does not impede on the lustre of the gem can be tricky and difficult.
Our client wanted to set a colombian emerald in a beautiful vintage style setting, set in 18K white gold. Truly pretty!
Blue Sapphire Engagement Rings are fast gaining popularity, especially since Kate Middleton was proposed to with one.
Requesting for a blue sapphire sounds relatively simple enough. And how hard can it be to customise that special, ideal engagement ring? But there are actually several considerations to be thought through before settling on that ideal piece.
- Shade of blue: Light blue? Medium Blue? Deep? Inky Blue? Royal Blue?
- Fine quality should be evenly-toned and well-saturated colour.
- When viewing the loose gem, pay attention that as the gem is tilted/rocked from side-to-side, that there is colour throughout the entire gem. Commercial quality sapphires tend to have colour-banding/colour-zones whereby certain parts of the gem are colourless.
- Why are sapphires with colour-bands/colour-zones considered commercial quality? It is common for sapphires to exhibit these streaks of blue, due to the way the rock is formed. While this does not affect the integrity of the gem, it certainly does not enhance the aesthetic beauty of the gem. Hence, a market premium is paid for well-saturated and evenly coloured gems.
- Unheat or Heat?: Again, this is entirely a matter of personal preference. However, heated sapphires are easily found and beautiful heated sapphires are plenty abound. So, if one is able to chance upon a aesthetically beautiful gem that is 100% untreated and unheated, it would add to the value of the gem.
- What is your choice of metal?
- What style of ring? What sort of design? This will affect budget too.
Featured below is a custom-made, eye-catching medium-blue unheated sapphire ring set in 950 pure platinum, with E-F diamonds. Notice how the sapphire seems to glow from within! Very good lustre and brilliancy, evenly-toned with a strong medium blue hue. This eye-catching piece is a stunner even without the aid of direct light source.
*Photo above taken indoors with incandescent light.
All photos and videos have been taken under natural daylight (unless otherwise specified). No filters or artificial photoshop or enhancement done to the photos and videos.
***Pls note that the jewellery featured in this particular post is not by Heritage Gems.
Coloured gemstone engagement rings have long been used among royalty and Old Money as a profession of their love for each other.
Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor with a stunning 19.77ct emerald engagement ring. Truly a gem piece:
Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon with her Ruby engagement ring surrounded by diamonds
In more current times, royalty engagement such as Princess Diana’s 18ct stunning blue sapphire ring to which Kate Middleton was subsequently proposed to by Prince William are definitely redefining engagement ring traditions.
Stunning blue sapphire engagement ring – If it’s good enough for Prince William and Kate Middleton, I’m sure it would be good enough for any of us.
Princess Mathilde of Belgium’s beautiful oval ruby engagement ring
Marie-Chantal of Greece’s Cabochon Sapphire engagement ring
Fergie’s Oval Ruby engagement ring
Jacqueline Onassis’s emerald engagement ring
And in even more recent times, amongst Hollywood celebs, coloured gemstones engagement rings have become popular
Halle Berry’s 4ct emerald engagement ring. Beautiful and unique – estimated to be worth USD200,000.
Elizabeth Hurley elegant and classic emerald shape blue sapphire stunner. As mentioned in a previous post, fancy cut side diamonds (regardless of shape) always command a premium than round brilliant side diamonds/setting size diamonds.
Jessica’s ruby engagement ring, again, with fancy cut side diamonds.
Nicole Richie’s Pink Sapphire engagement ring – a colour for the little girls inside every one of us.
Contrary to mainstream opinion, coloured gem engagement rings is only for the privileged few. Fine quality precious gemstones are rare and not easily available. If one has a specific colour/shade/hue in mind, the waitlist to lay your hands on an ideal gem could be several months, sometimes close to a year. If your jeweller is actively searching the market for you, it may take a slightly shorter timeframe.
Nonetheless, buying that ideal precious gem is not something that you can pick off a chart with the corresponding colour grading, clarity grading as you would a diamond.
A simply mesmerising engagement ring. An unheated Sri Lankan Blue Sapphire, 3.52cts in the ideal shade of blue – not too dark and not too light, with excellent lustre and clarity. An eternally classic setting in 950 platinum.
Our client had his eyes set on one of our dazzling blue sapphires. He wanted only the best – unheated blue sapphire, no less. As an engagement ring, he was after a simple, classy yet unusually beautiful setting. After a few rounds of discussions, we found the sweet spot with half-moon side diamonds to accentuate this blue beauty.
**Fancy-cut setting-size diamonds are considerably more pricey than regular round setting-size diamonds.
We specialize in fine quality gemstones, set in gold or platinum metalwork featuring bespoke craftsmenship in a unique design you can call your own. For a gemstone/design consult, we are contactable at:
Mobile: +65 97716923