Featuring a unique and beautiful Sapphire in our Signature Snowflake design. In their mission in find a special engagement ring that will commemorate their time spent in Singapore, this lovely couple chanced upon our bespoke custom service of handcrafting fine quality jewellery.
Their request was to find a beautiful unheated, untreated sapphire that would catch the eye of this very lucky lady. As her now-fiancee had put it, they were looking for a sapphire that would match the color of her eyes. Alternatively, they were hoping to find a shade of blue that reminds them of the ocean.
As always, design discussion always begins with first understanding the aesthetic preferences of the client, and we match that with the centre stone in question.
This unheated sapphire, set in our Signature Snowflake design, with marquise and round diamonds, there is no better way to capture this Christmas proposal and wedding. Often, snowflake designs involve centre stones which are usually round in shape. However, when the centre piece is a cushion shape piece, the traditional snowflake using marquise diamonds would create awkward angles in ring.
Their next request was to have their wedding bands handcrafted by our master craftsmen. They were quite specific in having this memorable keepsake entirely handmade. In a hammer-effect, unlike most hammered-style bands found in retail stores, there is nothing orderly nor machine-accurate about this style.
At the year end of 2016, this lovely couple brought their wedding jewellery set back to San Francisco where they tied the knot in the San Francisco City Hall.
Below: The couple had very kindly shared a photo of their wedding jewellery taken at the San Francisco City Hall.
Click below. Explore our other design options customised previously.
No one said that diamonds were a necessity in creating your perfect engagement ring. And that was the wish of this client, who wanted a simple, romantic design which they could call their own.
The devil is in the construction and detailing of this ring. Unlike the typical construction of a ring that uses at least 2 or more separate pieces/parts of gold to create, this ring design uses only 1 long strip of intertwining gold. This symbolises the love between 2 people; and for each other. There is no breakage nor joining of gold in the construction of this ring design. It is a simple, organic and very clean look for this unheated sapphire ring. After all, the intensity of this royal blue sapphire speaks for itself.
In recent years, supply of medium to fine quality rubies have dwindled to almost a standstill. When we say medium quality, the bare minimum standards that the gemstone must meet are at least:
- Good Lustre
- even colour, especially when viewed top-down (looking down at the table/face of the gem)
Last but not least, the all-important factor, and deal-breaker: whether the gem is heated or not. Please note that some jewellers may tell you that a gem is natural. This does not mean that the gem is unheated. To them, “natural” means that there is no external material being introduced into the gemstone. However, the fact remains that heating of gemstones is a process carried out to enhance the colour of the gem, without which, the original colour of the stone will look lacklustre or less vivid or less intense.
A good example as below:
2.1ct unheat ruby
2.35ct heated ruby
Heat treatment is typically used to enhance colours of a gem and may also be used to improve clarity of the gem. As such, most aesthetically beautiful gemstones commonly seen in jewellery shops are have been heated.
Why we disclose to clients if a gem has been heated or not heated: simply because heated gemstones command a different price to unheated gemstones. Also, unheated and beautiful gemstones appreciate in value the quickest and hold their value the longest. Without a doubt, if money is no issue, beautiful unheated gems are the way to go.
2.03ct unheat blue sapphire
3.5ct heated blue sapphire
In this case then, does this mean that all unheated gemstones are not as gorgeous and beautiful as heated gemstones? No, this is where our specialty lies. Our clients come to us to source for unheated, yet beautiful gemstones.
Approximately 85% of all gemstones available in the market are heated. Of the remaining 15% that is unheated, possibly only 35% – 40% of these are aesthetically beautiful. Naturally, a premium is paid for unheated, yet gorgeous gemstones.